Sunday, November 28, 2010

Muslim experience

I went to the Muslim Mosque, located in Moravia, some weeks ago. Everyone who wants to be there has to cover the head and the body because that religion asks for it.
I had to cover my head that is why that experience was a little bit shocking. When we were already a Muslim person started talking about that culture. They told us that any many things that have been shown and said in the media are false. The man told us that it is just a stereotype of them.

I was really wondered about being there, but I assimilated it some hours later. Then, I started asking many questions about that culture, because I have heard many things and I wanted to know more. I asked about the marriages, if women are discriminated as many people have said. As a result, he told me that it is completely false; he told us that women have the same rights as men. It was surprising because during many years I used to think different. Also, he told us how women are benefited, for example he said that women are given of many gifts in the wedding and the house and all the furniture have to be bought by men. Moreover, he said that polygamy is common in that culture, but they have to follow what the Koran, the sacred book, says about it, for instance each wife has everything in the same quantity, each one has to be loved in the same way.

Then, he introduced to us a Costa Rican man who built the Mosque, and he said that when he was building the Mosque he started feeling “God call” as he said, and because of that he realized that he needed to be converted a Muslim. Now, he is a Muslim person, and he is really happy.

Then, they told us that it was time to pray and they started doing it. That event was amazing, because we can see how interesting that culture is. Some hours later, one of them read the Koran and I realized that this book is read from right to left completely opposite as we used to read. Also, they talked about many celebrations and traditions that they have.

As a conclusion, we have many ways to know many cultures such as Media, but I think that just being with people from that culture we can really learn. Now a days, there are many soap operas based on Islam culture, but we can not believe in that because most of the times everything is not true. I was interested on that experience and it was amazing. After that event I realized that covering my head worked to understand a little bit more from that culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment